Monday 10 December 2007

Getting Down To Business - Xmas Songs

So, I don't know how you godless animals celebrate in Britain and America, but over here in Japan we like to throw down a little gauntlet called CHRISTMAS.

How does that taste, huh? Tastes FESTIVE doesn't it?


The notion of Christmas has been so soured and devalued in the west as to be almost meaningless, but here we KNOW what Christmas is all about. And so we celebrate with all our hearts the anniversary of the day that Little Baby Jesus invented dynamite. Or something.


Anyway, I concede! I finally gave in, and started listening to Christmas music on Saturday coz I was feeling lousy. Christmas music is pretty precious to me, as some of you may know, so help me out here, and let's make the best Christmas playlist ever! Of course, we are constrained by the medium of our time to a maximum number of infinity tracks, so keep an eye on that. Suggestions below please.


So let's start with the best Christmas song ever:


1) The Jackson Five - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town


after that they're in pretty much any order:


Wham - Last Christmas

Low - Just Like Christmas
James Brown - Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto
Milton Delugg & The Little Eskimos - Hooray For Santa Claus
Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry
Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
Crash Test Dummies - Jingle Bells
Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone

Pretty much all of Phil Spector's "A Christmas Gift For You..." but especially:

Darlene Love - Marshmallow World
The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride

And I'm torn about:

Eels - Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas
...because to me it doesn't sound so festive, but it does have the line: "Baby Jesus - born to rock".

Help me out, I'm keeping it short and I know I'm leaving a lot out.


Oh and here's some pictures of Sapporo too.



Zowie! Big, sparkly Christmas thing in Sapporo German Christmas Market!


Because, yes, we have a stupid German Christmas Market too.


And here's another random picture of Sapporo. The point was meant to be the mountains at the end of the road, but they didn't come out. Still, fun I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment