Friday 3 October 2008

Sapporo Food: Let's Sushi Party at Hanamaru!

Hey, no posts for a few days because I'm flying to Tokyo to see Radiohead rock the humble-sounding Saitama Super Arena. If I really loved you I'd find an internet cafe to post from, but y'know....

You're adopted.

Anyway here's tonights menu: tasty, tasty sushi! After I managed to shut Demode Queen down by writing about it I wasn't sure about naming any more restaurants, but this place isn't going anywhere. Hanamaru is a kaiten sushi (conveyor belt sushi) restaurant in the huge Sapporo Station complex. It's pretty well known, and pretty popular so you'll always have to wait for a table, but it's easy to sign up for and worth the effort. It's on the 6th floor of Stellar Place right next to Daimaru, the fancy-dan department store.


Oh look, it's some of my friends eating sushi! Hi friends!

Hanamaru is fun because it involves a lot of shouting. Someone's always shouting something to someone and then that someone makes the sushi you eat. It's a system that works well for me. Even better is when they make a special order and ring a bell and ask if anyone wants some. Everyone shouts at the same time, kinda like West Side Story, but with raw fish instead of mambo. Now let's look at some sushi that I seem to have photos of on my computer:



fig 1: Salmon. This is raw salmon on rice. I know, you were thinking that salmon meant tuna, but actually, no, it's just salmon. Everyone's favourite, everyone eats a lot of it.


fig 2: Chanchan-yaki. This is seared salmon with spring onions and a sweet miso sauce and it's delicious. Chanchan-yaki is really a whole salmon cooked with the sauce and is a speciality of Hokkaido, but a few places do sushi versions. I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment