Saturday 27 September 2008

"Pop" or "POP!"?

I'm posting this "Saturday" on a Sunday. Why? Because yesterday I got drunk and fell asleep without posting!

The end.

Kimura Kaela who, like everyone else in Japan, is a singer, model and TV presenter, released a double A-side single recently. One side was Moustache, an upbeat pop-rock number, and the other was Memories, which is from a new kids movie. To describe memories as "upbeat" would be like describing Scrooge McDuck as "kinda mean"; it's a virulently potent mixture of cute and sweet that may prove dangerous to western viewers note inured to Japanese cutismo:

Moustache



Memories




To be honest I'm not overly fond of either of these. Moustache isn't a great song, but it does have some great promotional images of Kaela with a moustache and shaving that I've been trying in vain to find on the web. Memories is better but man... it almost hurts my teeth. Then again, I like being hurt.

1 comment:

  1. i usually go for "POp!" like a balloon bursting, do you see?

    but it's my invention it so you can't have it, and if you steal it i'll sue you for all the comics on your shelves.

    ReplyDelete