Wednesday 28 October 2009

Englanding #10 : Good Music

I'd like to thank Fate for sorting me out. Almost as soon as I wrote that whiny 500th post about not seeing any good music I found the following! Of course I'm not seeing any of these as videos anywhere, or advertised anywhere, any they're all old artists so I'm not seeing any good new music but... maybe one day huh?

Charlotte Hatherley's new album New Worlds is awesome, astonishing, I love it, she's amazing, continue ad infinitum. On first listen it's better than her first two solo rekkids which I both loved. Very smart, unique sounding guitar pop:



Oh GOD I just saw that there's a video for her song Siberia from the last album, which I love so much. Have to post that too:



SHE'S AMAZING AND SHE'S GETTING MORE AMAZING. CHRIST.

Luke Haines' new album is a double, and a) I love double albums and b) I love Luke Haines therefore x) I'm happy. The first disc is much like his last solo release - well written, slightly glam, slightly baroque guitar pop with great lyrics that is ill served by its glossy production. I like it, but I don't think it'll convert anyone. The second disk on the other hand has six creepy songs and three spoken parts of a sneering, spiteful, downright horrific story about a London art critic. It's exactly the sort of story you'd expect from Haines, but that doesn't stop it being hideously well executed and the whole disc becomes a mesmerising hiss of a record that reminds me of the best bits from his Christy Malry soundtrack.

HE'S AMAZING, BUT I CAN'T FIND A VIDEO FOR ANY OF THESE NEW SONGS.

Ash:



FUCK YES! A song every two weeks for a year, each of them standing alone so they'll have to be able to walk as singles without other tracks to back them up, only thirteen quid to download the lot, GENIUS. I bought the subscription and I hope they make a shitload off this, although I guess time will tell. It's just the kind of forward thinking engaging with the internet that every fucker should be doing but most aren't. Also they're doing an A to Z tour of the country.

THEY'RE AMAZING!

And, honourable mention since they're not British, and I was mostly aiming for the Brits here - the new Flaming Lips record is also phenomenal. Really, I'm so happy that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots did well for them, but it was boring as hell and turned me off them so much that I didn't even bother checking out At War With The Mystics. This one is so good, it's not even like a return to form, it's like a new form that they never had before and I think I'll be listening to it a lot. If you read any reviews that are like: "Well, it's not as good as their last few... it's like a step back..." then you are reading a review by someone who is clearly in the wrong profession.

AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment